[Zope3-dev] RFP: menu item ordering

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Dec 12 09:04:53 EST 2003

Perhaps it would help if there were some specific use cases being
addressed.  Steve's old proposal addresses the use cases "it would be nice
for menu items to be grouped by category", and "it would be nice to be able
to order the categories".  Priorities, on the other hand, sound like a
kludge to bump things up or down and an ongoing source of annoyance.

If the intent is to be able to require that an item appear before some
other item, or after another, then item constraints might be the way to
go.  If the intent is to allow someone precise control over total ordering,
then a different tool is needed.  Is order dynamic, per object, per menu,
or is there some total ordering of menu items in the abstract?

At this point, the goals are too vague to be able to pick a "best" approach.