[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/src/zope/products - __init__.py:1.1

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Dec 15 10:54:58 EST 2003

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> >I'm fine with lots of stuff in zope.examples, but I'm not so sure about
> >zope.products. I feel the aim should be to maintain and ship products
> >independently from the zope core as much as possible. zope.products
> >(with examples not included) is a weird limbo status by definition; it's
> >*not*
> >zope core, but it'll always be there.. And who decides what's going to
> >be in it?
>
> Well, I think Jim's proposal ("Packaging") made it clear and I agree
> with flattening the package hierarchy, especially in zope.app.

Flattening the hierarchy I have no objection to; that is a good idea.
But if we're going to have standard content components, why not
zope.content or something along those lines?

If the zope top level package is the right thing here anyway; you'd
think a new top level package for this kind of thing would be less
confusing, but then again, that is what 'zopeproducts' was..

> I'm not so sure about the name 'zope.products', though. It could confuse
> Zope2 developers and make them think that they should put their own
> filesystem products in there. The word "product" has an extremely
> overloaded connotation in the Zope2 world, anyway. How about
> 'zope.packages'?

zope.packages sounds better, though this may be overloaded in Zope 3
terms. And there's the concept of a Python package, but that could actually
help, as a Zope package is a Python package.

Anyway, I personally prefer a new top level product for this altogether,
as I still feel uncomfortable with the "not core but distributed with
the core and having some form of official blessing (by whom?)" status of this
thing. If something is distributed with the core, people are going to depend
on it as always being there and will build on it. Isn't that the definition
of core?

In Zope 2 we see some packages are distributed in the core code and others are
in Products, and there's really not much rhyme and reason to it as far as I
can see. I'm worried we'll get the same situation with Zope 3.

Anyway. zope.examples, please. zope.packages/products, I won't be
able to stop it. :)

Regards,

Martijn