[Zope3-dev] FWIW: I endorse reStructuredText

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:59:58 +0100

Steve Alexander wrote:
> So, I think I'm +1 with Tres on '.rst'.

I slightly prefer .txt, I think. This will encourage people as well as
applications to treat such a file as a human readable text file. Encouraging
people to do this is good; I've seen the .stx suffix lead to the temptation
to add HTML entities and such to it as it'll be postprocessed for human
readability 'anyway'. And then I had to write a script that postprocessed
the .stx to .txt ripping those about again. That takes away the
intention of the format -- the .rst or .stx *is* human readable.

Plus, slight benefit with .txt is that my emacs will start in ReST mode
(um, Text mode) while it dives into 'Fundamental' with .rst instead. :)
I imagine other editors and viewers might do the same type of thing.

That said, I can see the argument for .rst as that'd encourage the file
to be maintained as .rst.

So I'm +0 for .txt. :)

Regards,

Martijn