[Zope3-dev] FWIW: I endorse reStructuredText

Jean Jordaan jean@upfrontsystems.co.za
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 09:33:17 +0200

I think Steve and Tres's reasons are worth a +1 for '.rst',
but would like to emphasize that they don't primarily have
to do with editors. They have to do with the conceptual
place of the .rst files in Zope: similarly to .pt instead
of .html. You could have a .pt which contains only static
HTML, but you'd still want it thought of as a page template.

> Plus, slight benefit with .txt is that my emacs will start
> in ReST mode (um, Text mode)

Can Emacs can be taught to look for something in the file?
I've seen emacs-specific and vim-specific (eg.
"-*- reSTX -*-" and "vim: let b:current_syntax reSTX") lines
posted, but Vim can be told to look for any arbitrary pattern
(eg. "Content-Type: text/x-rst") in the file, which could be
the same across editors.

Anyway, I think the conceptual reasons for the naming should
weigh heavier than the editor-artifact reasons.

--
Jean Jordaan
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za