[Zope3-dev] service names

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:40:57 -0500

sean.bowman@acm.org wrote:
> hello,

Hey. :-)

> I'm planning on doing all this, probably later today.

Great (as far as I know)!

> Specifically, I'm
> going to put the following in src/zope/component/servicenames.py:
>
> Adapters = 'Adapters'
> Interfaces = 'Interfaces'
> Utilities = 'Utilities'
> Skins = 'Skins'
> Views = 'Views'
> Resources = 'Resources'
> Factories = 'Factories'
>
> (note ResourceService -> Resources, Steve voiced his opinion at
> http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-February/005430.html)

Yes, thanks: so, he agrees with "Resources"

> and these in src/zope/app/component/servicenames.py:

IMO this should be src/zope/app/services/servicenames.py.
(that is, services, not components)

> HubIds = 'HubIds'
> EventPublication = 'Events'
> EventSubscription = 'Subscription'
> ErrorCollection = 'ErrorReportingService'
> Roles = 'Roles'
> Permissions = 'Permissions'
> Authentication = 'Authentication'
>
> (note Events -> EventPublication, Subscription -> EventSubscription, and
> ErrorReports -> ErrorCollection)

Steve and I were talking about the overlap between "event as calendar
event" and "event as system signal event", and thus the possibility of
SignalPublication and SignalSubscription.  I'd personally prefer to wait
for his discussion or for Jim's proclamation.

I don't mind ErrorCollection much, but prefer ErrorReports fwiw.

> The reason I didn't change the associated strings to match new names is
> that I didn't want existing services to suddenly be inaccessible.

I agree with Steve that it would be nice to have the strings match the
variable names.

> I'll be
> happy to change them if people want this, I just didn't think it was too
> important.

It would be a good thing.  However, I agree with your basic premise that
merely moving the variable locations might be the right thing to do for
now.  We can have further name discussions later, and do the larger bit
of work (fixing all the code that requires the names so that it uses the
variables instead, making sure they are the right names, and so on) that
it will require then.

Gary