[Zope3-dev] PythonScript in Zope3?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:51:20 +0200

> Zope 3 won't have Python Scripts...
>
> but will have something better : persistent Python Modules...
>
> with full fledged classes for example.
>
> They have to be instantiated in what is currently called the Service
> Manager (which will be renamed Site Manager - or Site Manangement). This
> is the place where software (ie logic) is supposed to be, opposed to
> content space which is represented by the navigation tree in the current
> GUI.
>
> Please others, correct me where I am wrong.

You're basically right, except that Zope 3 will have python scripts.
These will work in much the same way as a Zope 2 python script, except
that they will never be used as 'methods' of a context object. They will
function only as stand-alone scripts, much like the "Zope OS" equivalent
of python scripts that you might have on your hard disk filesystem as
alternatives to shell scripts.

So, definitely "python scripts" rather than "python methods" (for anyone
who remembers python methods for zope 2).

--
Steve Alexander