[Zope3-dev] PythonScript in Zope3?

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:49:45 -0500

Barry Pederson wrote:
> I was wondering what's the story with PythonScripts in Zope3...is that
> something that just hasn't been done yet,

Yes.

 > or is it not part of the plan
> at all?

It's part of the plan. They may be a little different than Zope 2
Python scripts.  As Steve pointed out, the intent is that they
are used like Python scripts in an OS, although, I think that that
is probably not quite right. A better analogy might be to be used like
Python functions, as you will generally want them to return things.

> I've been looking through the wiki [a twisty maze of unfinished or stale
> outlines :( ],

Yes, it could use some pruning and updates.

 > but only ran across one offhand mention in a use-case.
> Otherwise, it's as if the whole idea of a PythonScript does not appear
> in the Zope3 universe

Rest assured that it does.

The thinking is that Python scripts will be used for creating simple dynamic
content.

In addition, as Godefroid pointed out, there will *also* be Python modules
used for creating software components.

> Would maybe be worth at least a FAQ entry in the wiki
>
>   http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FAQ

Sounds like a great idea. Please go ahead.

> (Will Zope 3X support PythonScripts?...Will Zope 3 support PythonScripts?)

Yes, yes.

The details still need to be fleshed out and are open for debate.