[Zope3-dev] Possible Jargon change wrt the things accesses via tabs in the UI

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:39:36 +0100

Ken Manheimer wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Luciano Ramalho wrote:
>
> > I think 'tab view', suggested by Fred Drake, is ok.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with Zope3 to know, but if the tab thingies
> being discussed are like CMF portal_type actions, then i suspect that
> "tab view" would be misleading.  Is the "tab" just one way to present
> the cue for choosing among these things?  In the CMF you can get a
> roster of actions for a content type and present them how you want -
> with tabs, in an actions box, in an icon bar, etc.  If so, then "tab"
> is just one implementation, not an intrinsic feature of the thing...

That's true.

> > I like 'aspect' or 'facet'.
>
> I was going to suggest "aspect" even before i read luciano's message,
> and like "facet", too.

'Aspect' and 'Facet' to me would bring a lot of connotations with various
object oriented terminologies with them, and don't suggest much in the
way of dealing with a user interface; perhaps Phillip Eby would have more
to say about this thing. :) Both just sound way too abstract to me.

Perhaps people with an actual focus on user interfaces could pipe in here? :)

If these are a special kind of view I would like very much the word 'view'
to be present in the name.

>  I prefer these two to "view" because they more
> strongly convey the implication that we're looking at a particular
> perspective on a thing among various perspectives of that same thing.

Actually I'd like 'perspective' better than facet or aspect; at least
perspective has more of a view connotation.

Regards,

Martijn