[Zope3-dev] Possible Jargon change wrt the things accesses via tabs in the UI

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:42:52 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Luciano Ramalho wrote:

> I think 'tab view', suggested by Fred Drake, is ok.

I'm not familiar enough with Zope3 to know, but if the tab thingies
being discussed are like CMF portal_type actions, then i suspect that
"tab view" would be misleading.  Is the "tab" just one way to present
the cue for choosing among these things?  In the CMF you can get a
roster of actions for a content type and present them how you want -
with tabs, in an actions box, in an icon bar, etc.  If so, then "tab"
is just one implementation, not an intrinsic feature of the thing...

> I like 'aspect' or 'facet'.

I was going to suggest "aspect" even before i read luciano's message,
and like "facet", too.  I prefer these two to "view" because they more
strongly convey the implication that we're looking at a particular
perspective on a thing among various perspectives of that same thing.

Among "facet" and "aspect" i'm not sure which i prefer.

> Here is a quote from the American Heritage=AE Dictionary of the English=
=20
> Language, Fourth Edition:
>=20
> Synonyms: phase, aspect, facet, angle, (2)side
> [...] Aspect is the way something appears at a specific vantage point:=20
> considered all aspects of the project. A facet is one of numerous=20
> aspects: studying the many facets of the intricate problem. Angle=20
> suggests a limitation of perspective, frequently with emphasis on the=20
> observer's own point of view: the reporter's angle on the story. Side=20
> refers to something having two or more parts or aspects: =93Much might =
be=20
> said on both sides=94 (Joseph Addison).
>=20
> I like these two definitions for 'facet' (from dictionary.com):
>=20
> - One of numerous aspects, as of a subject
> - One of the numerous small eyes which make up the compound eyes of=20
> insects and crustaceans ;)

--=20
Ken
klm@zope.com