[Zope3-dev] Re: Better access to APIs in paths (was Re: needing views clues- template/title troubles)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:45:48 -0500

Evan Simpson wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I prefer:
>>
>> api(context).title
>

> I get the feeling that I've leapt in with too skimpy an understanding of
> the issues, and of Zope 3.  In particular:
>
>> If I was thinking in terms of adapters, I'd just create the adapter in
>> the first place. using Itamar's unimplemented syntax:
>>
>>   IZopeDublinCore(context).title
>

> This is where I came in, and I thought the 'tal:namespaces' proposal was
> syntactic sugar for this in path expressions.

Actually, I didn't like any of those proposals, so I proposed something
completely different. :-)  Sorry if that confused you.  (I think my
proposal was well understood by those among us who aren't familiar with
Zope 3 internals, while the other proposals were not.  Can we go back to
what I proposed?)

> My weak understanding of Zope 3 interfaces and what you mean by an "API"
> is probably at fault here.  I think of an interface as a collection of
> related methods and properties, and an API as a collection of
> interfaces.  Thus my "zope.DublinCore" ("<api>.<interface>") approach.

I think an API is a new kind of component, though I'm not sure.

Shane