[Zope3-dev] Re: Better access to APIs in paths (was Re: needingviewsclues - template/title troubles)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:01:15 -0500

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> The transition from Zope 3.1 to Zope 3.2 might change the signature of
> an important API function.

That should be disallowed.

 > Given a bunch of templates, how can I know
> whether they are compatible with both versions of Zope?

You'd know because APIs would be backward compatable.

 > Wouldn't
> namespaces make that job easier?

Only at the expense of a lot of extra complexity.

You want:

   context/foo:bar

to be able to have a different meaning depending on the version of Zope,
by virtue of using different namespace declarations.  While that is
flexible, I don;t think it would be a good thing.