[Zope3-dev] Re: Better access to APIs in paths (was Re: needingviewsclues - template/title troubles)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:21:04 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:

>> The transition from Zope 3.1 to Zope 3.2 might change the signature of
>> an important API function.
>

> That should be disallowed.

Is it disallowed to add new API functions also?  What if I want to know
whether a bunch of templates I made for Zope 3.2 will also run on Zope 3.1?

> You want:
>
>   context/foo:bar
>
> to be able to have a different meaning depending on the version of Zope,
> by virtue of using different namespace declarations.  While that is
> flexible, I don;t think it would be a good thing.

That's a side effect of what I want.  What I want is to know the precise
environment required for templates.  Simple prefixes aren't always
explicit enough.

Using namespaces is not extra complexity--it's matching the expectations
of XML developers and taking advantage of existing URIs.

But you disagree, so I won't press this anymore.

Shane