[Zope3-dev] Re: Other (than GET and POST) HTTP Methods

Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:51:04 +1100

>>> Barry Pederson wrote
> I don't believe you can do name-based virtual hosting with SSL since you'd
> need to know the name in the request before you knew what key to use to
> decrypt the request - kind of a catch-22.  You'd have to use IP-based virtual
> hosting.

That's correct. There is an 'UPGRADE' command specified in RFC 2817 that
allows a client to make a normal HTTP connection (including the Host: header)
and then upgrade to an SSL connection, but I don't know of any browser that
supports it.