[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Questions

Marius Gedminas mgedmin@codeworks.lt
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:59:57 +0200

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 03:31:12PM -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> This option is similar to RPM and Debian, but RPM and Debian both fail
> to properly meet a use case that's very desirable, yet distribution
> maintainers haven't met: making an updated package based on changes to
> installed software.  If I install the Zope RPMs and make changes to the
> installed software, I'd like to be able to make a new RPM with my
> changes.  To do that currently, I have to use the source RPM and reapply
> my changes to the source.

$ apt-cache show dpkg-repack
[...]
 dpkg-repack creates a .deb file out of a debian package that has already
 been installed. If any changes have been made to the package while it was
 unpacked (ie, files in /etc were modified), the new package will inherit
 the changes.
 .
 This utility can make it easy to copy packages from one computer to another,
 or to recreate packages that are installed on your system, but no longer
 available elsewhere, or to store the current state of a package before you
 upgrade it.

HTH.

But the Zope 3 way is nicer.  It is a nice application of the
Open-Closed principle: software should be open for extensions, but
closed for modification.  IOW you can modify the behavior without
touching the package contents.

Marius Gedminas
--
"I'll be Bach."  -- Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger