[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Questions

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:53:57 +0000

> Say I set up a basic content management site.  Among other services, it
> sets up a view service.

Why? What does this new view service offer that the existing one does not?

> Now say I want to add features to that site by
> installing packages into it.  Specifically, I want to install the
> package that replaces certain text areas with rich text widgets.

Ah -- I think you want to register some views, or override some views.
This doesn't entail replacing the Views service with your own one. This
entails registering some custom widgets as views for some fields.

> When I install the rich text package, it does not replace the view
> service, instead it adds to the existing one.  Now I have a view service
> that's not specific to either content management or rich text editing,
> so it doesn't logically belong to any package anymore.

The views service remains the same. Its data is made up of a bunch of
configurations which come from a number of packages.

> It belongs only to the "active configuration".  Nearly every package
 > will want to add to, but not replace, the views service.

That's ok.

> Does that map in some way to how Zope 3 packaging works?  I can't quite
> see it yet.

Did I help?

--
Steve Alexander