[Zope3-dev] Proposed jargon change: placeful -> local, placeless -> global

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 13:37:32 -0800

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:46:06PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:

> I propose the following Jargon change:
>
>   - Objects whose use or behavior depends on their location in
>     the object system are "local" (rather than "placeful").
>
>   - Objects whose use and behavior are independent of their location in
>     the object system are "global" (rather than "placeless").
>
> I think "local" and "global" are clearer, easier to say and less cute, and,
> thus, preferable.

Sounds reasonable on the face of it...
but as primarily a pythonista and secondarily a
zopatista, I find this confusing.  I'm used to thinking of
local and global in terms of scope.  You're proposing a meaning for
common terms that is entirely new to me. But then, my knowledge is
not very broad. Are there other domains where local/global refers to
behavior rather than scope?

If not, -1 ... FWIW.

--

Paul Winkler