[Zope3-dev] Proposed jargon change: placeful -> local, placeless -> global

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:56:27 -0500

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:46:06PM -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>I propose the following Jargon change:
>>
>>  - Objects whose use or behavior depends on their location in
>>    the object system are "local" (rather than "placeful").
>>
>>  - Objects whose use and behavior are independent of their location in
>>    the object system are "global" (rather than "placeless").
>>
>>I think "local" and "global" are clearer, easier to say and less cute, and,
>>thus, preferable.
>

> Sounds reasonable on the face of it...
> but as primarily a pythonista and secondarily a
> zopatista, I find this confusing.  I'm used to thinking of
> local and global in terms of scope.  You're proposing a meaning for
> common terms that is entirely new to me. But then, my knowledge is
> not very broad. Are there other domains where local/global refers to
> behavior rather than scope?

It really is primarily a difference of scope, but it's not the same kind
of scope as what you're used to.  Since they are better terms but they
may get confused with the meaning in Python, my vote is "+0".

Shane