[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:32:50 -0500

Luciano Ramalho wrote:

> On segunda-feira, jan 13, 2003, at 15:33 America/Sao_Paulo, Jim Fulton
> wrote:
>
>> That is a wild guess. I wish I knew what the real numbers were.
>>

>  From the wild-guess-dept:
>
> I know personally about 50 people who make a living working with Zope
> full time in Brazil. No more than 5 of them have ever written a Zope
> product of their own. Many have tried to use ZClasses, with varying
> degrees of success.

I wonder what percentage tries ZClasses, and, of those, what percentage
was successful.

> I also know a much larger community who uses Zope, but not exclusively,
> and none of them would ever take the time to learn enough Zope to
> develop a product,

Do you think that the software development process I described
in  is equivalent

http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/ThroughTheWebSiteDevelopment

is equivalent to developing products?

I would expect that it is much closer to developing ZClasses,
bit without the warts.

 > although some have played with ZClasses. All of them
> have ASP or PHP experience that they can use with Zope. For them, ZPT is
> worse than DTML, because ZPT forces them to use more Python,  and they
> still think that learning Python is difficult or not worthwhile,

So they learn DTML instead? I'm amazed.

 > and
> they have the terrible habit of embedding business logic in their pages.
>
> We have a mission to bring them into the light, but first we must go and
> talk to them. Zope3-dev is not the right forum.

Don't you think these people will just use scripts and pages in content space?