[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:13:38 -0500

Casey Duncan wrote:
> The filesystem lets you use whatever tool you want. I see TTW dev being more
> limiting in this regard, external editor not withstanding. Who *wants* to use
> a web gui? Futhermore who *wants* to make one?

Umm... people who use Zope apparently want a web GUI.  You can count me
in.  I like making web GUIs too. :-)

The heart of the matter is that we don't want a huge shift when Zope
newcomers become Zope developers.  We need to eliminate the "Z-shaped
learning curve".  To achieve that, there must not be a sharp transition
from TTW development to filesystem-based development.  Ideally, there
should be no transition at all.

That doesn't mean we have to replicate everything you can do on the
filesystem in Zope.  But it does mean that a few crucial configuration
management features need to be designed in from the start.

> I'm
> certainly not advocating reinventing CMF paradigms. I'm just approaching this
> with a healthy does of skepticism, perhaps even cynicism, unfortunately.

No, I think skepticism is good.  It may refine the proposal.

Shane