[Zope3-dev] IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:30:29 -0500

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 01:13 pm, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Casey Duncan wrote:
> > The filesystem lets you use whatever tool you want. I see TTW dev bei=
ng=20
more=20
> > limiting in this regard, external editor not withstanding. Who *wants=
* to=20
use=20
> > a web gui? Futhermore who *wants* to make one?
>=20
> Umm... people who use Zope apparently want a web GUI.  You can count me=
=20
> in.  I like making web GUIs too. :-)

You are a web gui god 8^) But at the end of the day thats a lot of work a=
nd=20
its still just a web gui. In some respects "web gui" is an oxymoron. But=20
since I will not be making it and likely not using it much, I will simply=
=20
smile and look the other way.
=20
> The heart of the matter is that we don't want a huge shift when Zope=20
> newcomers become Zope developers.  We need to eliminate the "Z-shaped=20
> learning curve".  To achieve that, there must not be a sharp transition=
=20
> from TTW development to filesystem-based development.  Ideally, there=20
> should be no transition at all.

Hmm. To me that advocates a "one way to do it" approach, on the file syst=
em.=20
Then there is no transition, because there is nothing to transition to.

I would argue that if there is a noticable transition, then we are doing=20
something wrong.
=20
> That doesn't mean we have to replicate everything you can do on the=20
> filesystem in Zope.  But it does mean that a few crucial configuration=20
> management features need to be designed in from the start.

I'll buy configuration management for a dollar. The minute it turns into =
TTW=20
development of reusable components then I close my wallet ;^)
=20
> > I'm=20
> > certainly not advocating reinventing CMF paradigms. I'm just approach=
ing=20
this=20
> > with a healthy does of skepticism, perhaps even cynicism, unfortunate=
ly.
>=20
> No, I think skepticism is good.  It may refine the proposal.
>=20
> Shane

And the heart of my argument is not whether we should do this. I know Jim=
 is=20
commited to the idea heart and soul, so it will happen. The question is=20
whether this is crucial to Zope 3.0.0. It seems like a big risk to me.

-Casey