[Zope3-dev] Re: IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:33:03 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Jon Whitener wrote:
>  > Forgive me my ignorance: despite working in Zope nearly full-time for
>  > several months now, I have never created a full Python module, let
>  > alone a Zope persistent Python module.  I don't even know what they
>  > look like (I've written a handful of Script (Python)s).
>
> Here is a simple module.
>

> class Document:
>
>   def setText(self, text):
>     self.text = text
>

> There's really nothing more to it.  The setText method corresponds to a
> setText Python script.  The only thing you have to know that you didn't
> when using Python scripts is the "class" statement.  Modules can be even
> simpler than this.

I think, though, that this misses an important point.  These people
aren't going to send an email to zope3-dev and say, "Convince me."  They
might not even bother to locate the (usually well-hidden) documentation
that lays out the argument.

Instead, they're going to say, "I'm not ready to learn another
programming language."

Perhaps it isn't rational.  But we can't curse the moon.  We have to either:

1) Adapt to their expectations, and provide realistic choices.

2) Or, declare people that think that way to not be our target audience.

It's OK to say (2).  In fact, Brian and I would be thrilled to see a
clear statement of focus, that includes who it *isn't* for.  However, I
think it's unrealistic to curse the moon, and think we'll get people to
behave "rationally".  It isn't always a rational world.

--Paul