[Zope3-dev] Re: IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:44:58 -0500

Paul Everitt wrote:
> I think, though, that this misses an important point.  These people
> aren't going to send an email to zope3-dev and say, "Convince me."  They
> might not even bother to locate the (usually well-hidden) documentation
> that lays out the argument.
>
> Instead, they're going to say, "I'm not ready to learn another
> programming language."

As the proposal says, we're attacking this on two fronts.  First, we're
making coding simpler by reusing the simplicity of Python modules
(without any Zope cruft) instead of ZClasses.  Second, by implementing
simple configuration management, fewer people will have any need to
write modules.

Then, for the few people remaining who really do need to write code but
need a little help, we could potentially implement a TTW module editor
that resembles the ZClass management interface.

Is there anything about this solution that isn't an improvement upon
ZClasses?

> Perhaps it isn't rational.  But we can't curse the moon.  We have to
> either:
>
> 1) Adapt to their expectations, and provide realistic choices.
>
> 2) Or, declare people that think that way to not be our target audience.
>
> It's OK to say (2).  In fact, Brian and I would be thrilled to see a
> clear statement of focus, that includes who it *isn't* for.  However, I
> think it's unrealistic to curse the moon, and think we'll get people to
> behave "rationally".  It isn't always a rational world.

I think the proposed solution serves the entire audience that ZClasses
were designed for, and it serves them better than ZClasses did.  What do
you think?

Shane