[Zope3-dev] Re: IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:22:15 +0100

On Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003, at 15:44 Europe/Paris, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Paul Everitt wrote:
>> I think, though, that this misses an important point.  These people
>> aren't going to send an email to zope3-dev and say, "Convince me."
>> They might not even bother to locate the (usually well-hidden)
>> documentation that lays out the argument.
>> Instead, they're going to say, "I'm not ready to learn another
>> programming language."
>
> As the proposal says, we're attacking this on two fronts.  First,
> we're making coding simpler by reusing the simplicity of Python
> modules (without any Zope cruft) instead of ZClasses.  Second, by
> implementing simple configuration management, fewer people will have
> any need to write modules.

Yes, as noted by you and others in different posts (and vigorously
agreed to by me), this is good.

> Then, for the few people remaining who really do need to write code
> but need a little help, we could potentially implement a TTW module
> editor that resembles the ZClass management interface.

Right.  And this time we wouldn't have frankenengine underneath, we'd
have the regular CA.  Right?

> Is there anything about this solution that isn't an improvement upon
> ZClasses?

Nope!

My point wasn't about this.  Rather, I want us to make sure the limits
of the "it's good for you" argument (made by others).

>> Perhaps it isn't rational.  But we can't curse the moon.  We have to
>> either:
>> 1) Adapt to their expectations, and provide realistic choices.
>> 2) Or, declare people that think that way to not be our target
>> audience.
>> It's OK to say (2).  In fact, Brian and I would be thrilled to see a
>> clear statement of focus, that includes who it *isn't* for.  However,
>> I think it's unrealistic to curse the moon, and think we'll get
>> people to behave "rationally".  It isn't always a rational world.
>
> I think the proposed solution serves the entire audience that ZClasses
> were designed for, and it serves them better than ZClasses did.  What
> do you think?

Yep!

This has been a really good thread!

--Paul