[Zope3-dev] Re: IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:25:22 -0800

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 11:22:37AM +0100, Paul Everitt wrote:
> >It's interesting, because a lot of programmers seem to hate ZClasses.
>
> But are those kinds of programmers the audience under discussion?

No. They may be people like me who realize that once something is built
as a ZClass, you cannot convert it into a python module without
rewriting it entirely. I don't use ZClasses because I'm afraid that
I'll hit a wall and need to dive into python more deeply and bingo,
I've just used up all the time I "saved" by going with a ZClass.
Either that or I can start filling my ZClass with EXternal Methods
and wonder why I didn't just make it as a filesystem Product to
begin with.

Even if all of the other current problems
with ZClasses that give them such a bad reputation were resolved,
I'd still think twice about using them for this reason alone.

So I think the proposal that's been floated, of replacing ZClasses
with a module-generation/modification wizard, is very much worth
looking into. Can such a thing be attractive to people who currently
like ZClasses and don't touch python, AND create python code that's
useful for a pythonista to run with?  If a pythonista goes
"behind the scenes" to modify stuff, can the result still be managed
with the wizard? If the answers are all "yes", then we'd really have
something.

(snip)
> If you have to learn a new programming language to do hello world, many
> probably won't.

What is this "hello world"? When I think "hello world" in Zope, I think of
creating a Page Template, typing "hello world" in the text box, and
saving it. That's equally easy in Zope 2 and Zope 3a.

If by "hello world" you mean something more like Boring.py, I wouldn't
exactly call it lightweight in Zope 2.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com