[Zope3-dev] Re: IMPORTANT RFS: Through the Web Site Development

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:41:45 -0500

Paul Everitt wrote:
> Jeffrey P Shell wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 13, 2003, at 02:49  PM, Jon Whitener wrote:

>> Don't confuse the oddities of Zope 2 with the behaviors of Zope 3.
>> It's already much easier to write clear and readable Python modules
>> for Zope 3 than it has ever been since the days of Bobo.
>

> Yes, once you've decided to learn the number of new and deep concepts in
> Zope 3.  From my experience trying to write skins for Zope 3 (and I
> polled the UI people in Rotterdam, I think they agreed), you have to
> know a LOT in order to do hello world in Zope 3.
>
> In fact, Martijn did a presentation on this.

I think you are mixing apples and oranges, well, developera and scripters
here.

Martijn showed how to implement hello world as a file-system
product.  It was much smaller than the Zope 3 file-system product version.

Of course, a product is overkill for hello world.

The natural way to implement hello world in Zope is with a file, created
through the web, that contains the text "Hello World". This is as easy in
Zope 3 as it is in Zope 3.

It would probably be instructive to write a scripting tutorial for
Zope 3 that stated with a static hello world and evolved it into some sort
of dynamic app totally in content space and, then, evolved that into software
space.