[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Packages vs Python Packages

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:49:37 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:
> In any case, I'm worried that this thread appears to have gone cold with
> the old, confusing, name still in place. What's the ebst way to rectify
> this?

I suggest you write a short proposal to rename "package" to "bundle" and
start a new thread.

Mac OS X uses the word "bundle" for a similar purpose, although it
doesn't reveal the word to end users AFAIK.  I found a short description
halfway down the following page, under the heading "Bundles".

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2001/09/17/cocoa.html?page=4

A tangent: I recall that Mac OS has an absolutely beautiful way of
managing applications.  You can put application files anywhere you like
and the system will still know how to find the application when you want
to open a document created by the application.  Thus hard disk space is
managed separately from application installation.  Neither Windows nor
Linux has this paradigm yet.  It's really nice for desktop users.

Shane