[Zope3-dev] a simple product

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 09:29:05 -0800

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:06:30PM -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Now I want to make it easy to find photographs based on any of the
> fields in my schema.  I create a catalog and tell it to index all
> photograph objects based on my schema.

Does this mean the catalog creates its own indexes "based on your
schema", or do you do that by hand?  If the former, does the
catalog adjust its fields if you change the schema?

Doing it by hand gives you more control over what gets cataloged
of course, but it also gives tight coupling between your
catalog and your metadata schema.

>  Then I create a search form,
> based on the metadata entry form, that again uses the same schema to
> perform queries.  It all works, without writing code, and I extol Zope
> 3. :-)

Cool! Is that sci-fi or the current state of things?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com