[Zope3-dev] a simple product

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:04:28 -0500

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:06:30PM -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Now I want to make it easy to find photographs based on any of the
>>fields in my schema.  I create a catalog and tell it to index all
>>photograph objects based on my schema.
>

> Does this mean the catalog creates its own indexes "based on your
> schema", or do you do that by hand?  If the former, does the
> catalog adjust its fields if you change the schema?

It would be problematic to adjust the indexes immediately when the
schema changes.  What I'd want is a button in the catalog to "re-sync
with the schema", creating, updating, and removing indexes.

> Doing it by hand gives you more control over what gets cataloged
> of course, but it also gives tight coupling between your
> catalog and your metadata schema.

I think it would be by hand, but with automation that quickly
accomplishes common tasks.

> Cool! Is that sci-fi or the current state of things?

Pure sci-fi AFAIK. :-)

Shane