[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

Jon Whitener wmmail@twmi.rr.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:46:52 -0500

I lack the expertise to even hazard a suggestion, but the ideal solution to naming these things is a set of mutually germane terms, instead of a clutch of otherwise unrelated terms (bundle, package, namespace, workspace, collection).

Is there no unifying analogy that would provide an appropriate set of metaphors for these things?  (English majors forgive me.)  It would be great if the terms for these things explained the things' roles in relation to each other, and to the process of which they are all a part.

You know: a nice, consistent real-world concept like windows on my desktop! ;)

Jon

At 1/21/03 10:54 AM -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>seb bacon wrote:
>>To restate part of my earlier confusing addition to the thread, hopefully a little more clearly:
>>I like "bundle" for Jim's option 'C' (a package for distribution).
>>I'm with Jim that a distribution package thing should have a different name from a development space thing.  Most users will only ever use a 'C', and then configure it.  We should not give them an opportunity to confuse a 'C' with an 'A' or 'B'.  For Jim's 'A' and 'B', I currently like "{closed|open} workspace", or even "{closed|open} project".
>
>As I understand it, when end users install a collection of software, they don't get a 'C', they get a 'B'.  In that light, should 'B' be called a "closed workspace"?  Do we want to emphasize the user's ability to change the collection of software?
>
><SNIP>

Jon Whitener

Detroit Michigan USA