[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:54:56 -0500

seb bacon wrote:
> To restate part of my earlier confusing addition to the thread,
> hopefully a little more clearly:
>
> I like "bundle" for Jim's option 'C' (a package for distribution).
>
> I'm with Jim that a distribution package thing should have a different
> name from a development space thing.  Most users will only ever use a
> 'C', and then configure it.  We should not give them an opportunity to
> confuse a 'C' with an 'A' or 'B'.  For Jim's 'A' and 'B', I currently
> like "{closed|open} workspace", or even "{closed|open} project".

As I understand it, when end users install a collection of software,
they don't get a 'C', they get a 'B'.  In that light, should 'B' be
called a "closed workspace"?  Do we want to emphasize the user's ability
to change the collection of software?

The original idea is that a collection of software and configurations is
either in development (open) or not (closed).  No third state is
necessary.  When users install that collection, development is initially
disabled, but can be re-enabled at any time.  The package for
distribution was out of scope, since that could be nothing more than a
tar file or a .ZEXP.  I'd rather the packaging details be pushed back
out of scope.

> I don't like "Persistent Package" and "Persistent Module" because they
> are too ZODB-developer-centric.  Ideally a TTW developer should not need
> to know what persistence is.  I would prefer "Zope Package" and "Zope
> Module".  But I suspect I might be alone in that ;-)

I think you are. :-)  Persistent modules are merely Python modules in
the database.  Actually, in the UI I think we'd only reveal the modules,
and we'd just call them modules, not persistent modules.

> Finally, why is everyone ducking when the word "Product" is mentioned?
> It has the benefit of already meaning something to most Zope users.

Because it means different things to every Zope user.  It would muddy
any attempt to clarify Zope 3 packaging.

Shane