[Zope3-dev] Package is the wrong name for the things I called "Zope Packages".

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:41:21 -0500

Jim Fulton wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> Since the only difference in the implementation between
>> distribution-type and development-type is a flag indicating whether
>> the software can be changed, and the user can toggle that flag at any
>> time, I would want the flag to be reflected in the names as an
>> adjective that infers minor change.  Hence open/closed bundle.
>
> But the model you suggest may not be very useful. I'm pretty sure that this
> shouldn't be such a lightweight operation. In any case, I would not assume
> it is at this point.

FYI: I talked with Jim.  Packaging is focused more on customization of
installed software rather than changing installed software.  I had
forgotten this distinction for a moment.  Customization is important for
nearly all users.

It's still important to be able to change installed software, but that
is generally an activity only for developers of that software, so it
doesn't need to be lightweight--but it shouldn't be as heavy as it is in
CMF, either.

Shane