[Zope3-dev] Downstream Users making changes.

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:50:41 +0000

Tres Seaver wrote:
>>It's still important to be able to change installed software, but that
>>is generally an activity only for developers of that software, so it
>>doesn't need to be lightweight--but it shouldn't be as heavy as it is in
>>CMF, either.
>
> I'm not actually convinced of that;  having downstream consumers modify
> the software can be an anti-goal for *lots* of situations, so making it
> harder can be a win.

Definitely. +10 from me.

> If you *do* make it easier to modify "closed"
> software, then you *must* make resolving conflicting changes easier than
> I foresee us having resources to tackle in the near term.

I think this will be needed anyway. If an end user of Swishdot customizes a
template or script and I, as Swishdot author, also change that template or
script for the next release, then they need to know that when they install the
new version. It would also be nice if we could provide something to help them
resolve the conflicting changes.

cheers,

Chris