[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

Godefroid Chapelle gotcha@swing.be
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:43:37 +0100

>HI Paul
>
>I would say I STRONGLY agree with everything you have mentioned here.
>
>Management of the transition and user/customer expectation is vitally
>important.
>
>Rgds
>
>Tim Hoffman
>
>On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 15:19, Paul Everitt wrote:
>

>>Jim Fulton wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Here is an update on my thoughts with respect to the timeline for
>>>Zope 3 releases:
>>>
>>>For Zope 3x:
>>>
>>>   - I'd like to release Zope 3x by September 1.
>>>
>>>     This will be a production-quality release of Zope 3x.
>>>     It will not be compatible with Zope 2 data or applications.
>>>
>>>   - I'd like to release Zope 3x beta 1 by June 1.
>>>
>>>   - I'd like to release alpha 3 by May 1.
>>>
>>>   - I'd like to release alpha 2 by March 1.
>>>
>>>For Zope 3.0:
>>>
>>>   Note that Zope 3.0 will provide support for migrating
>>>   Zope 2 data and applications to Zope 3. This will probably take the
>>>   form of migration tools, rather than direct backward
>>>   compatability.
>>>

>>Can you describe this more?  I'm not exactly sure the depth to which
>>Zope 3 can migrate applications.
>>
>>For instance, in Rotterdam I found out that the syntax has changed for
>>getting parents in the request URL.  Will the migration machinery check
>>for things like that and convert it?  (Note, there are probably a lot of
>>little things like that used by people to build their sites.)

<snip>

>>"""
>>The ACS never gained major momentum largely because, I believe, there
>>were several major technology jumps (ACS 3, to ACS 4, then ACS Java, all
>>within 2 years) that made it difficult for users and customers to keep
>>pace and ultimately they lost trust in our management of the product.
>>Even though we felt we had to upgrade the ACS "plumbing," of course this
>>too-rapid rate of change entailed a host of other problems: missing
>>documentation, missing functionality, client and user wait-and-see
>>syndrome, and Faith That the Next Version Will Deliver Us (and users)
>> From Evil that causes undue optimism on delivery dates - and
>>compromises on quality that come back to haunt you.
>>
>>Zope2 and Plone let me do what I've always wanted with a web app
>>framework: deploy a community and content-driven site quickly that looks
>>great out of the box, with the knowledge that the technical engine
>>underneath is powerful and flexible. I would hate to see a crippling
>>loss of leadership and momentum around what already works and works
>>well, with room to grow further still. With such a skilled and involved
>>community, surely a way to continue wowing the world with
>>Zope2/CMF/Plone can be balanced with a smooth introduction and long-term
>>transition to Zope3.
>>"""
>>
>>IMO, we should give some priority to investigate ways to manage the
>>transition.  And we need to communicate more about this, so business
>>people know what to expect, and feel comfortable using Zope 2, CMF, and
>>friends.

<snip>

>>>   I expect, as part of the migration effort, to start migrating some
>>>Zope 3
>>>   technologies into Zope 2.  I don't want this to slow Zope 3
>>>

>development,
>

>>>   so I don't expect much to be done on this until this summer.
>>>

>>On this point, I imagine I'm a contrarian on this list.  But I'm willing
>>to slow development of Zope 3 in support of smoothing the transition
>>through backporting and related activities.
>>
>>IMO, business people (who think differently than zope3-dev folks) will
>>evaluate this whole Zope2-Zope3 situation using different criteria than
>>us.  I realize, though, that my opinion might be in the minority, so
>>I'll try not to continually harp about it. :^)
>>
>>--Paul

I want to second Paul and Tim on the importance of a smooth transition.

We have to accept that working transparently has also dark sides (sic) :
situation/information can be misunderstood by some of our potential
customers.

As little as has been my contribution to Zope3, I won't be able to go on
if I can't support myself with commercial work with Zope2
and simultaneously if my present and future customers begin to have
fears (even unrational) about their investments in Zope2.