[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

Myroslav Opyr myroslav@zope.net.ua
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:09:40 +0200

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:

>> [snip]=20
>
> I want to second Paul and Tim on the importance of a smooth transition.=
=20

+10 (if taking into consideration voice of our company)

In Plone world there is toll called portal_migration which aids=20
developer in migraiting site to newer version of Plone. IMO, the tool=20
become modular and products would be able to register migration scripts=20
within the tool to simplify upgrades of software.

In the early days of Plone when there was no MigrationTool the process=20
was difficult and unpredicted unless I know internals of Plone and=20
followed development process. Whith the introduction of MT, only=20
difficult cases took part in maillist discussions.

My vision is to introduce some Migration technology in Zope 2 core right=20
now and make developers migrate their sites when transitioning to 2.7,=20
2.8, 2.9 and 2.10 until the Zope 2 application has enough hooks to be=20
just pushed into Zope 3x environment.

Just my 2 euro-cents (I'm following Z3 development and taking part in=20
Plone),

m.
--=20
Myroslav Opyr