[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:18:18 +0000

Paul - this is a timely set of observations.

The Zope 2 meme (to use a Paulism ;-) is gaining mindshare at an
astonishing rate.  Misconceptions or ambiguities regarding Zope 3 could
massively disrupt the business requirements which are driving this
growth, and thereby cause problems for all of us who work with Zope on a
daily basis.

I know many others think this is crucially important.  I, too,  have
personally come across people who have been put off Zope 2 / confused /
scared by Zope 3.

But you are right, this is not the right forum in which to discuss these
matters.  This is an important enough issue that I propose a Zope 2
migration working group, which will consider:

  - Continuing support for Zope 2
  - 'Branding' of Zope 3 for the community
  - Upgrade paths, documentation, etc for Zope 2 -> Zope 3

I think it should have a new mailing list, because it is too important
to allow it to languish in a few isolated threads.

Does anyone agree, or will I be in a mailing list on my own?

:-)

seb