[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:50:02 -0500

seb bacon wrote:
> Paul - this is a timely set of observations.
>
> The Zope 2 meme (to use a Paulism ;-) is gaining mindshare at an
> astonishing rate.  Misconceptions or ambiguities regarding Zope 3 could
> massively disrupt the business requirements which are driving this
> growth, and thereby cause problems for all of us who work with Zope on a
> daily basis.

Is there some way to measure Zope 2 uptake?  I'm having trouble seeing
evidence of either gain or loss of mindshare.

About migration: Because we have a large amount of customer-specific
code that requires Zope 2, Zope Corp. needs a smooth migration.  I know
the community has been concerned about migration, and ZC has not
participated much in the discussions.  It's not because we don't care
about migration.  It's because smooth migration is so important that
there's really nothing to discuss.  It's vital to the life of the
company.  It's an open and shut case. :-)  AFAIK, the stable release of
Zope 3.0 will correctly run the majority of Zope 2 products unmodified.

Shane