[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:56:32 -0500

seb bacon wrote:
> Paul - this is a timely set of observations.
>
> The Zope 2 meme (to use a Paulism ;-) is gaining mindshare at an
> astonishing rate.  Misconceptions or ambiguities regarding Zope 3 could
> massively disrupt the business requirements which are driving this
> growth, and thereby cause problems for all of us who work with Zope on a
> daily basis.
>
> I know many others think this is crucially important.  I, too,  have
> personally come across people who have been put off Zope 2 / confused /
> scared by Zope 3.
>
> But you are right, this is not the right forum in which to discuss these
> matters.  This is an important enough issue that I propose a Zope 2
> migration working group, which will consider:
>
>  - Continuing support for Zope 2
>  - 'Branding' of Zope 3 for the community
>  - Upgrade paths, documentation, etc for Zope 2 -> Zope 3
>
> I think it should have a new mailing list, because it is too important
> to allow it to languish in a few isolated threads.
>
> Does anyone agree, or will I be in a mailing list on my own?

I agree. I think it's a great idea.  I'll sign up.

I think that this discussion can deal with possible migration strategies
at a high level. I doubt that there will be much band width *in the near term*
to actually work out any technical details.

ZC (sigh) should probably set up the mailing list so that it shows
up prominantly on lists.zope.org.

Are you willing to be the list adminstrator?