[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 branding

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:27:02 -0500

Luciano Ramalho wrote:
> I think this has gotten really out of control after the recent Open
> Letter, in which the first sentence in BOLD TYPE reads "the net effect
> is that people hesitate to commit to Zope 2-based systems."  If some of
> our potential customers were not hesitating, now many will be.
>
> This is followed by an assertion that, taken out of context, is disastrous:
>  "Zope3 will eventually arrive. That's not the discussion here. But when
> it comes, it will be late. "

Well, FWIW, I think the premises of that letter are entirely unfounded.
  The important goal is to launch new.zope.org on schedule.  Whether
it's initially based on Plone is a secondary issue that ought to be left
to Sidnei and Guido.  I don't see why Plone couldn't be added later.

The letter also claims that Zope 2 development will be dropped in favor
of Zope 3.  That is incorrect.  We at ZC work more on Zope 2 than on
Zope 3, and I don't think that will change for a while.

> All this in a text linked from the top of the main Zope site! Our
> competitors must be really celebrating! (BTW, I agree with most of the
> arguments in the Open Letter, and support using Plone on NZO, but I
> still think the letter is a PR disaster for us).

I suggest the community make lots of product announcements so the link
to the open letter scrolls off the zope.org homepage. :-)

> I think some serious action it the PR field is necessary. Changing the
> version numbering scheme would give us a good opportunity to clarify the
> situation to our current and future customers.

Well, in a way, you're suggesting a move from "Zope 3X" to "Zope 3K".  I
wouldn't object, but is K somehow more appealing than X?  Maybe people
mentally drop Xs. ;-)

Shane