[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 branding

robert boulanger robert@bluedynamics.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:00:39 +0100

Jim, you may have noticed that I'm already updated the news item on Zope.or=
g=20
this morning European time.
Nevertheless thanks for your answer.=20

I added some comments to your mail inline:

[snip]

>  > I still wonder whether this has official
> >
> > character and is realistic, or is only his personal plan
>
> Well, coming from me, it is official. I think it is a realistic
> schedule. No one can predict the future with absolute certainty.

As mentioned already above, that I changed the news item in that way. For m=
e=20
personally it's official enough :)

> > There he speaks about a release date Sept. 1st for Zope 3x which will be
> > the incompatible version, and a release date March 1st 2004 for Zope 3.
> >
> > March 2004. imagine. Thats over one year.
>
> What's your point? Given your questioning whether my schedule was
> realistic, do you think that this is overly optimistic?

Over one year from today on means, that I don't have problems to get new Zo=
pe=20
2 customer projects started. Noone from the guys who are waiting now, will=
=20
wait over one year. They will decide to start over with Z2 now. Since you=20
announce porting tools or whatever for Zope 3.0, I don't think anybody will=
=20
hesitate now.

Thats great !

Optimistic?  I'm too long in business to believe the timetable a developer=
=20
gives me. Even if his name is Jim Fulton.  ;) Ok, I'm kidding. I think it's=
=20
realistic, and I personally never believed in a release within 2003.

> > Put this roadmap on an official place on Zope.org and all problems are
> > solved with this one posting.
>

> But, I think we, the community can do more.  I like Seb's idea of getting
> some people together to work on the transition issues, including
> communication. I'm in the process of setting the relevant mailing list up.

I like this idea also. If we can help, we will do.

> > The problem which caused people to hesitate, is, that there where too
> > much statements concerning Zope 3 which reached the public.
>
> I'm confused. I would think that communication is good.

=2D From your point of view thats right. I don't want to mention names here=
, but=20
people from within the core Z3 development tried also me to convince that=20
customer projects we started in July 2002 should be done with Z3 already.
I rejected that, but nevertheless, this also caused confusion at my custome=
r.
With an official stement form you or ZC, sth. like that can't happen in=20
future.

Communication is good, and works fine within the community, but in directio=
n=20
to customers, there are clear statements from official instances needed, an=
d=20
that is ZC or you as part of ZC and the head of development. As long=20
Communication happens only within the community it's a big danger, that=20
rumours and false information are reaching end-customers.=20

[SNIP]

> > PR and marketing for Z3 should not start before a beta 2 is released.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. We aren't doing anything to market Z3, since
> it's not usable for production yet.
>
> OTOH, it's an open source project. We want to recruit people to work on i=
t.
> People want to know about it.  We have to do this. If we didn't, we'd
> be criticized for closed development.

Maybe this is a misunderstanding which inherits from another :)
I understand Lucianos mail in the way, that he wants to start the PR/market=
ing =20
engine right now. I agree with you when you are saying Z3 is not usable yet=
,=20
therefore no market actions. So I wanted to say that it isn't the yet the=20
time for making ads or marketing for Z3 now.=20

>  > But then
> >
> > with full power. Until this happens, I would suggest to publish an
> > official FAQ somewhere, which should have at least one Question:
> >
> > Q: "When will Zope 3 arrive"
> > A: "Not before spring 2004"
>
> I agree that we need to do a better job of communicating this. Hopefully,
> the group that Seb is forming can help with this.

 [snip]

> We definately consider it worthwhile to make a response.  Expect a respon=
se
> soon.

I'm looking forward to it.=20

> > One main reason
> > for the letter was to get an official statement about Z3's and Z2's
> > future.
>
> Well, then I'm glad I was able to help.

Indeed you did. :)

Robert