[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:04:34 +0100

Paul Everitt wrote:
[lots of good and very difficult questions]

> IMO, business people (who think differently than zope3-dev folks) will
> evaluate this whole Zope2-Zope3 situation using different criteria than
> us.

Yup, I'm mostly a geek but I play a business person on TV, and they
do.

One way the community could prepare for Zope 3 is by splitting off
projects from Zope into Python. For instance, there are a lot of
projects in the Zope periphery (such as in CMFTypes and Infrae's DocMa)
that integrate things like PDF and word processors with Zope.
Such a codebase could survive the transition to Zope 3 pretty well, as
it's independent from Zope 2. Of course this isn't feasible in many
cases.

Another way to prepare is by adhering to some form of component oriented
paradigm already, such as using services/tools (both CMF and Silva do this,
for instance), and a form of model/view/controller and
content/presentation separation. Transitioning to Zope 3 won't be trivial
and would still mean a lot of work, but it *will* be easier.

If a bunch of larger Zope projects are ready to offer the trannsition to
Zope 3 offering migration tools in about a year, Zope 3 will hit the ground
with its feet running. If then Zope 3 offers significant additional
value compared to Zope 2, more people will be inclined to make the
transition and will be able to motivate it to their clients.
To be at the forefront of Zope 3 development then will be of great
value to businesses then. I know quite a few businesses in the Zope
community are thinking this way -- otherwise they wouldn't be
at sprints. :)

> I realize, though, that my opinion might be in the minority, so
> I'll try not to continually harp about it. :^)

It's an important topic.

Regards,

Martijn