[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 branding

Ausum Studio ausum_studio@hotmail.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:17:44 -0500

Zope2.X and Zope3.X will coexist for a very long while, that's a fact. And
my guess is that even a longer time will have to pass until the first
Fortune500 company decides to use Zope3.0+ for any of their production
sites.

So, IMO, and in terms of public image, I agree to Luciano's suggestion on
at least to give the renaming Zope3 issue a thought. If Zope3 is that
different, if compatibility is not neccesarily a design concern for its
developers (which is perfectly fine for a rewrite based on past
experiences), why not to give that differences a name different to
Zope[Number]? Why to let Zope2.X users who just won't use Zope3 for
production within the next two or three years to suffer the sensation of
using *outdated* stuff? How will they make understand their customers the
paradox that they won't use the better Zope because the better Zope is
buggy and/or doesn't have as much third-party code as products the old one
already have? :)

As all developers in this list (and observers like me), I'm looking forward
to see Zope3 up and running beating  the open source and commercial
competition, but again, with public image effects in mind, I suggest that
Zope3 renames to ZopeSF (derivated from Luciano's post), or ZopeFX  :)

Ausum

p.s. BTW,  I'm afraid that the quoted open letter did more on splitting the
community than convincing it about using Plone for nzo, as there is no
other sub-community that will advocate for one of its products as
insistently as they do. Friendly suggestion is that Jim or ZC post another
open letter on this whole subject, facing overall Zope's future. (Robert's
update to his own letter is not enough.)