[Zope3-dev] Re: Zope 3 Roadmap thoughts

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:09:36 -0500

Jon Whitener wrote:
 > I second the need for such a "best practices" guide.  My primary
 > concern is learning to do things in Zope 2 "the right way", i.e. the
 > way that will smooth my path when it comes time to use Zope 3.

I had an idea about this a week ago.

Nearly 20 years ago I learned how to write software through a precious
little book called "25 Advanced Games for the Commodore 64" by Larry
Hatch.  I had about a dozen books on C-64 programming, but working
through the fun examples taught me better than any other source.  (Now
it's out of print and I've lost my copy.  I'd sure like to find a copy!)

So I think a great way to learn how to use Zope 3 would be a book called
"25 Projects for Zope 3".  I spent some time coming up with projects I
thought would be appropriate.  The projects should be of varying levels
of difficulty and cover a variety of interests.  When Zope 3 is fully
baked, I think it should be possible to complete all 25 projects without
writing any Python modules or use any add-on products.  Here is my list:

Chess game engine
MRU page list (a navigation aid that jumps to recently visited objects)
Poll (a Zope tradition ;-) )
Grade tracker (for teachers)
Photo album
Pedigree chart
Fortune (random quotes)
Easter egg (for personal sites)
Moon phase indicator
Scripture fill-in (see http://hathaway.freezope.org)
Art contest (art submission and judging system)
OGG board (music trading)
Weblog
Web shop
Online petition
Inline comments (like BackTalk)
Graffiti page (like Wiki, but allows image uploading and dragging)
Hit counter
Who's online now
Fishing database (fishing is a science!)
Battleship game
Resource monitor (for sysadmins)
Server load indicator (for public users)
Shared whiteboard (to show how to integrate a Java applet into Zope)
Site Feedback (hopefully the simplest of all the projects)

Then I thought of a bonus project: a global contributor map that shows
the location of Zope 3 users all over the world.  Hopefully in 3D for
effect. :-)

I thought about keeping this idea to myself so I could surprise everyone
with a Zope 3 book just as Zope 3 comes out, but I decided it would be a
lot more enjoyable if I got help from others.  Do you folks think this
would be a good idea?

Shane