[Zope3-dev] Re: Object/Hub registration (was Indexing broken?)

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:27:27 -0400

Garrett Smith wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>>Garrett Smith wrote:
>>
>>>I was into this yesterday and noticed that there are some hefty XXXs
>>>in the Registration code -- e.g. "A stupid registration thingie" and
>>>"This is really just an example".
>>
>>Right. This was just a quick and dirty thing put together to
>>test text indexes.
>

> What's missing from this implementation?

I don't know. I haven't studied it. ;)

 > Or are you planning on moving
> the registration logic into the object hub itself?

Yes, I think the default registration policy should be part of the hub.

>>>what's the management strategy for getting objects into the Hub?
>>
>>That's an open question.  I suspect that the best strategy for now is
>>to add all added objects to the hub.  I *think* that there will be
>>cases where we don't need this, but I think it's best to call YAGNI
>>on that for now.
>

> Assuming Registration is going to be around a while, would it make sense
> to automatically add/enable it when an object hub is created?

Yes.

BTW, we seem to have other problems related to hub creation.
For example, hubs aren't being subscribed to necessary events. :(

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org