[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Source organization

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:35:53 -0400

Hi,

Last december, we made a concerted attempt to improve the organization
of the source tree:

- Made the tree somewhat shallower

- Adopted the twisted module naming conventions

- Separated presentation code into separate trees to make it
   easier for people working on presentation only.  The idea was
   that presentation folks didn't want to scan through the regular
   sources to find presentation code.

- Separated interface code into separate trees.  This was driven
   by two things:

   o People working on presentation need to consult interfaces.
     There's no point separating the presentation code if people
     still have to search the regular code for interfaces.

   o Tres at one point lobbied for separating the interface code
     into a separate tree.

I think that the shallower structure and new module naming conventions
have been sucessful.  Perhaps the source tree should be *even*
shallower.

Since the source reorganization, one of the presentation people
told me he though the change was an improvement.

Everbody else I talk to complains about the separation of presentation,
interfaces, and application code.  Typically, people who work on
application, interface, and presentation code have to work on
three areas of the tree.  Often people are forced to edit three
files with the same name and maintain two related configuration files.

What do folks think about this?  Would people like to see a change?
Suggestions?

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org