[Zope3-dev] workflow states and permissions

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
14 Jul 2003 17:03:16 +0200

Am Mon, 2003-07-14 um 15.49 schrieb Shane Hathaway:
> Tres Seaver wrote:

> > The intended way to achieve that meme was via event listeners, perhaps
> > managed by the same "content workflow" component that associates given
> > process definitions with content based on their "content type"
> > interfaces.
>
> I agree.  In fact, this fixes a security problem in DCWorkflow.
> DCWorkflow gives a workflow author the power to indirectly alter who has
> permissions, so only highly trusted system administrators should ever be
> allowed to create or modify a DCWorkflow.  I hope in the future we can
> delegate the creation of workflows, while maintaining permission/role
> maps separately.  The event mechanism is a start in that direction.

the current state of the implementation of zope3-workflow has no
explicit capabilities to compete with DC-Workflow, as it only provides
a flexible framework for integrating Workflow-Implementations into Zope3
and a (fairly simple, far-from-finished) implementation of a stateful
workflow.

To make it more complete, the Stateful-Implementation would need to be
able to send out events on State/Data-Change (see the comments in the
sources) and some kind of Content-Workflow-Service would need to be
written (to replace the ContentWorkflow Utility that is just an example
right now) which would implement most common needed patterns like
discussed within this thread and serves as a place where configuration
for content-workflow may be done (e.g. which content-type get's whose
process-instances)

i'm currently not able to spend that much time, that i can follow the
fast changing sources of zope3 and contribute, sorry. i'm open to answer
questions or join discussions about the future of zope3-workflow.

i expect to do a bit of knowledge-transfer at the plone-castle-sprint
where i meet some of the developers from rotterdam again.

cheers
Ulrich

--

Ulrich Eck