[Zope3-dev] workflow states and permissions

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 11:21:52 -0400

On Monday 14 July 2003 11:03, Ulrich Eck wrote:
> the current state of the implementation of zope3-workflow has no
> explicit capabilities to compete with DC-Workflow, as it only provides
> a flexible framework for integrating Workflow-Implementations into Zope3
> and a (fairly simple, far-from-finished) implementation of a stateful
> workflow.

Right, but the worst stub implementation is 'names = (u'default',)', which
requires my process definition registration to have this name. Other than
that all of this is a good start. I gained some good insight into the package
over the weekend and was able to make a nice example work. I will publish a
recipe with code later tonight.

I could start working on some of the shallow workflow stuff (I was able to see
many of the rough edges), but I do not know whether I have time. I hope the
recipe will bring some people closer to the workflow package.

> To make it more complete, the Stateful-Implementation would need to be
> able to send out events on State/Data-Change (see the comments in the
> sources) and some kind of Content-Workflow-Service would need to be
> written (to replace the ContentWorkflow Utility that is just an example
> right now) which would implement most common needed patterns like
> discussed within this thread and serves as a place where configuration
> for content-workflow may be done (e.g. which content-type get's whose
> process-instances)

Mmmh, strange, I would not think so. All what we would need to do now is to
define the events and fire them in the appropriate places. Other components
can decide what they want to do with it later.

> i'm currently not able to spend that much time, that i can follow the
> fast changing sources of zope3 and contribute, sorry. i'm open to answer
> questions or join discussions about the future of zope3-workflow.

 ok.

> i expect to do a bit of knowledge-transfer at the plone-castle-sprint
> where i meet some of the developers from rotterdam again.

Cool. So you are all going to Phillip's place, huh?

Regards,
Stephan
--
Stephan Richter