[Zope3-dev] Zope3 magic makes me cranky.

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:10:02 -0400

Shane Hathaway writes:
 > In any case, magically generating classes is crossing a line, don't you
 > think?  It's especially bad if the class pretends to have been loaded
 > from a Python module.  There must be a better way.

I'd certainly prefer to see a normal factory involved, though I think
what's happening in the <page> directive is this:  The class attribute
of the directive can specify a class which may not inherit from one of
the page view classes (or implement the right interface), in which
case it is mixed-in with a common classes that implements all the
basic stuff.  This is inherantly asking for a disaster, I think.

But I think this was something that Jim wanted to support easier
entrance to using Zope 3.  If we can convince him that this is
misguided, that would be a good thing, and would allow a lot of
simplification in this case.  And we wouldn't need such magically
incanted classes.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>