[Zope3-dev] Zope3 magic makes me cranky.

Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:27:43 +1000

>>> "Fred L. Drake, Jr." wrote
> I'd certainly prefer to see a normal factory involved, though I think
> what's happening in the <page> directive is this:  The class attribute
> of the directive can specify a class which may not inherit from one of
> the page view classes (or implement the right interface), in which
> case it is mixed-in with a common classes that implements all the
> basic stuff.  This is inherantly asking for a disaster, I think.

Yes. This is a path that will lead to something far far worse than the Zope2
magic that makes Z2 such a pain to work with. While there's a lot of Zope2
magic, it is possible to figure out what's going on with it. This sort of
horror is just mind-blowing to try and figure out when you're looking at the
code, and shouldn't be considered for Zope3.

This is all just my opinion, of course, and I will admit that my exposure to
Zope3 is not as high as that of quite a few people on this list that have
done far more work with it - but that's possibly part of the point. I know
what I'm doing with Python, I've done a lot of work with Zope2, I've spent a
bit of time with Zope3, but this stuff gives me such a bad bad feeling.