[Zope3-dev] form validation inconsistencies

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:05:27 -0500

Sorry to keep bugging the forms/widgets people, but I'm knee deep in
form-related stuff, so I figure I'd pass on my observations...

The field validation seems to be handled inconsistently, at least as far
as the UI is concerned:

- TextLine widgets display a small error message when their submitted
value is invalid -- e.g. "Too small", etc. Btw, this is a nice approach.

- TextArea widgets do not display anyting next to the widget, but the
error is counted in the top-level message (i.e. "There are n input
errors.")

- Convertion errors (e.g. type 'foo' into an Int widget) are handled by
displaying an altogether separate dialog with a couple bullet points.

- Missing required fields generate an input error (included in the
count), but there's no message next to the field, such as "Required",
etc.

If this is off people's radar screens, let me know -- I can probably
contribute on this one.

 -- Garrett