[Zope3-dev] Allowing views to be registered for classes ratherthaninterfaces.

Peter Simmons pete@bcmpweb.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:44:40 +1200

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 09:07 AM 7/18/03 +1200, Peter Simmons wrote:
>
>> Sounds a little bit like people just don't wanna spend the effort
>> doing the docs. In my opinion if that starts to occur the quality of
>> the project will degrade. And we also run the risk of having to
>> introduce magic because we are wrapping things that we don't
>> understand (because they aren't documented).
>>
>> Just my 2c. I think it would be great to be able to look up good docs
>> in a years time for anything in the core at least.
>

> If I understand correctly, we are not talking about code for the
> core.  We are talking about how a new developer of Zope 3 applications
> - specifically a Python programmer who likes Python's flexibility and
> simplicity - may be expected to react to the number of hoops they will
> need to jump through in order to get a simple application working.
>
> If a system is easy to build small applications with, it will be used
> to build large applications.  That's because most large applications
> grow from small applications, and the rest don't work.  ;)

Ok, sorry to get off track. Could still argue that it will be different
people building the large app from the small ones so making
documentation complusory could be a good thing. I guess a nice
alternative is to provide a set of recommended practices and let people
choose. Then if they start small at least they will have something
obvious to turn to once it is getting bigger.

--
Peter Simmons
Senior Consultant                  BCMPweb Limited